Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Few Thursdays Back

He looks good on paper. Met him a few days before. Dropped a quick email the next morning saying hey... which does wonders for a girl's self esteem. He's quick witted. Able to dish out as much (if not slightly more) as I am giving him. Impressive. He can keep up mentally. Put a check mark in his plus column. Back and forth with the email. Perhaps we'll see each other Thursday, maybe we should car pool, let's meet after work. Pause.

So in the meantime, I send my EDS spies in search of solid information. A fact finding mission if you will. Luckily for both of us, they were impressed. This is good as many of my clients often treat me like I am their 30-something unwed child and we are sitting together in temple when a single Jewish doctor comes stolling in to peruse the Torrah and just happens to be dashing and incredibly witty... calm down folks.

So we are set to meet after work at Fox, just a short jaunt down the road. He tells me he is heading to Starbucks before I get off and asks me if I want anything. A red flag goes up. Many upper middle class caucasian Americans need Starbucks like a comedian needs jokes about minorities. I sense a possible addiction. Could this be a problem? Possibly. I will however forgive this little "slave to the corporate monster and its marketing beast" indiscretion because he is getting me passion tea (though I am fairly certain he thought I was suffering from some inuendo dropping when really I just like passion tea).

I meet up with him and consider his vehicle briefly. Some sort of SUV, black (I say this as I pretend to not be so concerned with what he drives as to have noticed make, model and vin...). We decide that I should follow him to his place where we will leave my car and ride together downtown. I call my mother. That's what I do in the car. I call my mother to tell her how great work is, how fat I looked in my pants that day, how nervous I am about the carpool thing, blah blah blah... Thus my mother is the first person to learn of my new insecurities as I pull up to his house... That's right... house... not condo, apartment, duplex, fourplex, cardboard box... actual grown-up house. Nice lawn. Put another check in his plus column...

So in the house. I make mental notes as I get the official tour. Furniture matches, although obviously man furniture. Hardwood floors. Nice patio. Very clean. Organized. Duke MBA (like I wouldn't notice that). Great artwork. Cross above the bed (Catholic?). And then my mind wanders... He seems to add up to such a nice piece of man... so what is wrong? Could it be that he intimidate women with his nice clean home or his education or any number of things that I am finding intimidating... Could it be that when he talks in person and not via email he is socially inept... possible. Could it be that he has six toes on his left foot... who knows. Focus Lacey.

1 comment:

Lacey Hammons said...

I'm sure no one reads back this far... but in case they do... Guy was a total creeper. The last time we went out he removed his manhood from his pants and stood up to put it in my face. I said, "no thanks." Because seriously, we sooo weren't there... Yuck. Who does that?