Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Enough

The strong man who never faltered and always loved the water:Just before Christmas an amazing friend and great man left this world by his own choosing. I do not pretend to know why nor do I judge. I don't know what was in his heart or the sadness he must have felt. I know that he was tired. He had a moment when he felt completely lost. We've all had them, but most of us recover.

The always joyful man who never ran out of laughter or faith: Another friend and great man left this world in December not by his own hand but at the hand of another. He opened his home and his heart to a person in need and to repay his kindness that person took his life. I know that my friend was a man of great faith and he was doing what he knew was right. He was not lost. His heart was open and he loved unconditionally.

The patiently quiet man who served as a rock and a teacher:Last night a friend and great man left this world not by anyone's hand, but suddenly and without explanation. He worked hard, gave freely of his time to help others, always found time to let his wife and daughter know they came first. He wasn't sick. He was just called home.

Last night I thought I had gained perspective, but today my heart is just filled with sadness. I am getting numb. I am turning inward because I don't think anyone understands right now, though they try.

But I will be okay.
I will pray.
I will cry.
I will sing.
I will paint.
I will grow.
I will smile.
I will be a better friend.
And I will move on, but not forget the love these men shared and the friends they were to me.

No comments: