Thursday, April 24, 2008

First Date, Sushi

So after meeting Queen Anns and chatting with Denver, I really had no interest in eating with MBA, but I had already agreed and I'm not one to back out on plans. So I met him at a sushi place near home (because all vegertarians like uncooked fish?). Conversation could unfortunately be likened to a job interview that just isn't going well. One person knows they aren't going to get the job, the other knows they're not going to offer it. But there you sit keeping up appearances and being polite. So edamame, one glass of wine, and veggie rollswere the cuisine of choice for me. For MBA, two mixed drinks, edamame, california rolls wrapped in salmon, and the special. My total, less than $20. MBA's total, more than $50. This doesn't bother me as geenrally my food costs less that someone who is consuming meat (fish, chicken, beef, lamb, shellfish, goat, alligator.. etc). What does bother me is that MBA clearly learned in school that the best way to make money is to split the check with your date. Now to clarify, I don't mind splitting the check. In fact I suggested that we get separate tabs. My motivation, to avoid any obligatory hug/peck/etc. His motivation, to be a cheap bastard. So I ask for separate tickets, he tells the guy waiting on us, "just split it down the middle." Let's review... me-$20, him-$50. Split down the middle-$35 each plus tip...

Should I want to go out with someone again who makes me pay $15 of his tab for the pleasure of crappy conversation and the awkwardness of sitting with someone who has clearly overexaggerated their height by a good two inches? No. And guess what? In my old age, I've lost the attraction that I used to have for liars and cheap idiots. So, there will be no second date with MBA.

Ladies- If this sounds like what you are looking for and you want to throw money down someone else's throat, let me know. I'll set you up. I have a feeling he'll be having more first dates than repeat dates for a long time to come.

No comments: