Friday, March 20, 2009

Date 20.2: Infectious Disease at the MAT

After repeatedly promising Infectious Disease that I was 100% healthy and I wouldn’t be giving him the flu, we made plans to go to Frankie’s and watch the Duke and UCLA games. For some reason, I was stressed about what to wear. I was coming from work and he was coming from the gym. Clearly slacks and a dress shirt are not the best option for a sports bar. So…

I arrived at Frankie’s a few minutes early wearing jeans, heels, and a graphic tee. Good choice I guess. We’ll have to wait and see what he is wearing. I walk in to look for a place to sit. No room. I go to the patio. No room. I go to the restroom. Plenty of room and a restroom attendant.

Now I’m not opposed to someone making a living. But I am opposed to paying for soap and paper towels in a restaurant bathroom at a sports bar. It’s almost (brace yourself) more appealing to me to just not wash my hands to avoid digging through my purse, letting go of a dollar that I earned by actually working, not by sitting idly hoarding paper towels. Ridiculous. But I washed and dried and left her a dollar because I am a pushover.

So I go back out to the patio for some fresh air that won’t cost me a dollar where I can call Infectious Disease to let him know there is no where to sit. As I pace outside the restaurant, he pulls up in his black BMW. Seriously, that must be all they sell to young professional men in this town. Despite the fact that I look slightly like a hooker due to my getting in a random car in front of the bar, I hop in and we are off to find a better spot.

McKinney Avenue Tavern, The MAT.

I don’t think I’ve ever been in here at the beginning of the night. I generally assume that when I go to a place I swear I’ve been but nothing looks familiar. We find some seats outside, barely watch the game, have a few drinks, grab dinner, and generally enjoy each others company (no, that’s not a euphemism).

Sometimes I think the fact that we are both obnoxiously sarcastic gets in our way. But that’s part of life.

Now the question that remains is whether there is still anything there between us or if I blew that up in the past. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Update- So I didn’t give Infectious Disease anything this time. But he still managed to end up at the ER the next day. Yikes.

No comments: