Sunday, May 03, 2009

Chronic Dating

One of my friends mentioned over Sunday brunch that I was a chronic dater.

An afternoon of shopping, a wine tasting, and quick workout later, I found myself pondering the statement, or more specifically, the term chronic dater. A quick trip to the thesaurus in search of a better term to replace chronic left me disappointed, but after a quick trip to the dictionary and a little online etymology search I was left with a new perspective...

Chronic: being long-lasting and recurrent or characterized by long suffering
Long suffering.

Well isn’t that apropos. Apparently in the beginning, khronos (which is Greek for “time”) became khronikos (Greek for “of time”) which became chronicus (Latin) then chronique (French) and finally chronical… Then in 1601 someone gave it a vague disapproving sense by associating it with disease. Did that man sitting in his broad lace collar with his full, slashed sleeves, tall broad hat and breeches have me in mind when he made that fateful association that turned chronic from time to long suffering?

Perhaps, but doesn't that make it that much better when my days of chronic dating are over? I like to think so.

No comments: