Monday, May 04, 2009

Good Thing I Inhaled

I love Dave Matthews.

Admittedly, I did not love Dave Matthews until 1996 when I decided that I would let him crash into me any time.

In 1998 on a trip across the border I took Dave's advice and didn't drink the water.

In 2002 as I packed my things to move yet again, I told Dave, "stop asking... I don't know where I'm going."

I even loved DMB in August 2004 when at least 120 Chicago tourists hated Dave.

I loved Dave through low times... and high times... and really high times.

Today, in the pouring rain and ridiculous storms, I stood (slightly damp) loving Dave. I was with the Triathlete's Hand Me Downs. A guy that wanted her and made that plain to me (he was late to meet me because he really needed to stop and buy Cliff bars for her even though she was out of town... no really, I don't mind when someone is late when they have such a good reason). But alas, there was hope... not only was the music amazing, again, I love Dave... but there was this cloud of positive energy. The energy was so thick I think I could actually see it rising from the crowd in a haze. Positive energy smells familiarly sweet.

What little I know about metaphysics leads me to believe I have a gift! Certainly not everyone has the gift to see positive energy.

So I took a page from Lyndon B Johnson who once said, “The American people have a right to air that they and their children can breathe without fear.” So I took a breath and suddenly there was hope for the date. I saw Hand Me Downs in a new light. He seemed sweet. Conversation seemed to be going well. I didn't really mind the rain. He was looking less bald... and less old. His banter about the Triathlete seemed almost endearing. The image I had in my mind of him in a wetsuit flailing about in the lake has nearly dissipated. And the intense guitar vs saxophone action that was occurring on stage... priceless.

Back in his SUV (cause what single 40 something year old man doesn't drive an SUV) we chatted on the way to my car. Then it was over as quickly as it had began. I was still enjoying my elevated mood so I decided to treat myself on the way to some Whataburger... hooray for Taquitos. This day keeps getting better.

I had such a great night, but in retrospect, there was nothing that made this match feasible. But for a fleeting moment, Dave made anything seem possible.

No comments: