Thursday, June 03, 2010

Gingerneer- The Update

Okay... here we go... the update...



So we’ve been emailing back and forth. Nothing too exciting. He wants to go cycling and dancing sometime. I finally got up the nerve to ask him if he wanted to go with a small group of us to one of the Fort Worth Symphony Concerts in the Garden this weekend. There is some 80s tribute band playing on Saturday. It’s a wine/cheese/picnic/fireworks type event with families, couples, singles, pretty much an even sampling up the middle class and up in Fort Worth.



So... he totally said yes. Like, oh my God. I’m seriously excited. This is going to be awesome to the max.



Well, not really.



So his response is super funny and he seems excited and willing to drive from Dallas to Fort Worth to see me. That has to be good. He even says he might wear jams and Nike basketball shoes to bring the 80s back full force (though I’m certain he’s kidding). But... there is the issue of the single ladies who were a problem last time... dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnn.



This weekend at CapTex (which was mismarked, so I swam an extra 300m and limped an extra .4mi), I finally get up the nerve to say something to the Dutchess of Velo about what happened at the bar. But as usual- I am Polly Passive.



“So, remember that guy from the Red River?”



“Yep. Steve.”



“No. Gingerneer.”



“No, his name was Steve.”



“Well, his email says Gingerneer. I’ve been talking to him.”



“REALLY!?! He is SOOO not your type.”



“Well, I’m just getting to know him. It’s no big deal.”



“I talked to him a lot and he is really passive and boring. He doesn’t even have any hobbies outside of work, which I still don’t even know what he does.”



“He’s a computer engineer.”



“Well, he’s still boring.”



“Oh... well, he likes running, camping, cycling, reading, country dancing, a lot of different kinds of music...”



So, I feel like I’m defending him. This exchange goes on for a few minutes. Then she says that her and her friend were being really aggressive with him to see what he would do. She said they like to do that to quiet guys when they are together. She thinks he’s weak because he didn’t stand up to them. I said he was being polite. Either way, it turns out they were intentionally trying to get all over him and then intentionally trying to make him react. Blah.



So... Velo and her friend are coming on Saturday too. That’s the bad news.



The good news is that AggieTri, her boyfriend, the Cruise Director, Lunchtime Sex, and the Swimmer have vowed to fend them off. And Velo knows that I'm actually interested in him and she's a good friend. I'm sure she'll pass along the "be nice" instructions to her partner in crime.



We’ll see.



Le coup de maitre: I am in charge of bringing desserts for the group since I’m off the alcohol completely. What guy could resist that when coupled with my obvious charm? ;)

No comments: