Thursday, January 31, 2013

Looking Back

Sometimes I appreciate that I can look back through my blog (which, let's be honest, is more like my online diary of crazy) and read things in the words of a different me.  I wish I had the forethought to start (and keep) something like this sooner.

I had a blog in 2000 that consisted of the political thoughts of a broke 20 year old... I deleted it because it was depressing to read about the day I ate a dry baked potato and ate some cake decorating sprinkles straight from the container because those were the two things I had on hand... Gross and sad.  I also deleted it because the political ideas of a 20 year old who is broke are... wow...

Then I think about the diary I had in elementary school.  Pretty sure I was not quite 12 when I wrote in the teal diary that my best friend at the time was being a "B*#!$".  That's as close to a quote as I can get since I have no idea where that thing is and back then I thought bitch was such an awful word that I had to spell it like I was Q*bert.

But it's not just my stuff that I have been looking back on.  In a box of my mother's things, I came across part of a diary, some poetry, and a stack of love letters from my dad to my my mom. Interesting the thoughts people have that they never share with anyone else.

It all makes me wonder... should I even be reading any of it?  Or should I keep the past in the past?



2 comments:

Michel D said...

Sprinkles was the best...

Lacey Joe said...

Haha- and so sad!