And getting caught in the rain... THESE ARE THE CUPCAKES FOR YOU!
Seriously though. If you like makin' love at midnight... don't eat too much frosting or you won't be awake for it.
I took a class on desserts with a twist this weekend... drunken desserts might have been more accurate. For the most part the booze is light and just adds a kick of flavor. So without further ado, pineapple cupcakes with coconut cream cheese frosting... or Pina Colada Cupcakes!
Makes 24-28 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed pineapple (drained slightly)
Instructions for cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar until slightly thickens and a light cream color (about 2 minutes)
- On low speed, mix in the oil and vanilla until blended
- Add in the pineapple and sour cream and mix until fully incorporated
- Add the flour mixture about a third at a time and blend just until combined and smooth
- line a cupcake pan with liners and fill about 2/3 full
- bake cupcakes for about 22 minutes at 350 degrees
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (1 stick/8 tablespoons)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (can substitute 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk... but where is the fun in that?)
Instructions for Frosting
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth
- Add cream cheese and blend until well combined (about 30 seconds)
- Add vanilla extract, coconut extract and powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) and blend on low speed until combined.
- Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy
- Slowly add the rum (or heavy cream)
- Beat until fluffy, about 1 more minute
- Use at once of keep refrigerated (This frosting will keep well in the fridge for several days, but may need to re-beat for best texture)
- Decorate cupcakes with frosting, a sprinkle of toasted coconut, a fresh pineapple triangle, and a maraschino cherry!
If you aren't going the rum route, no need to dress it like a pina colada... but they are super pretty!