Thursday, April 18, 2013

Totally Stalkable Front Door Hanging

I'm not a huge fan of being able to be traced. I mean, I know I share a lot of personal info... but there has always been a reason for the nicknames... I just don't think you should put it ALL out there. But alas, the time has come when I can't post the magic of the new craft without sharing New Guy's actual name... and it's not "Smith"... So, please don't stalk him.  And if you're one of the few people who share the name, don't steal our door hanging.  That would be seriously uncool of you. 

Using leftover paint from the cornhole set (semigloss white) and leftover paint from the Christmas door hanging (craft, acrylic, green), I got to work on this old canvas.  Yes, it used to be something else too... But I don't generally memorialize projects that died at a mid point. 

So... mix mix mix... Three shades of whatever color you want and the white base. 

Paint the entire canvas the base color.  Why?  Because I said so.  But seriously, you only have to tape off one set of stripes if you paint the entire base.  After your base coat dries, tape off whatever background pattern you want (stripes, chevrons, polka dots, checks, etc) and then PAINT IT AGAIN WITH THE BASE COLOR.  Counter intuitive, but if you've been living under a rock and are still wondering how other people are getting such clean lines on their craft projects, this is it.  The coat above the tape seals the tape lines. No bleeding color. Wait for it to dry... again, then paint on your background color.

There is a lot of waiting in this project, but what can you do?  It happens.  For the center plaque design, I folder a sheet of copy paper into quarters and cut a simple design.  This can be traced onto the canvas and painted by hand using the next darker color you mixed. You might want to test your darker color first to make sure it is what you are looking for... or heck, live in the moment. I also painted a quick border on the canvas in this color because our front door is white and it needed some definition on the edges. Next, very exciting, let it dry. 

You will want to either draw or print the initial you will be using.  I went all freehand magic because how hard could an O really be?  You'll go back to your base color for the letter and then... wait for it to dry.

Lastly, in the darkest of your colors (I used straight from the bottle green), using a nice thin brush, paint on the name.  I again did some freehand work in cursive.  I actually tried print first and ended up backtracking to the plaque shape and starting fresh.  Best piece of advice here, for the name, dilute your paint slightly.  It will go on so much better (smooth, no blobs, less chance for error, longer lines without lifting your hand). 

Anywho... that's it.  Another easy one, but a great piece for the front door and it can be any color scheme you want!

No comments: