Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Introducing the Something Blue Brigade

Taking little bits from here and there, I've tossed around a lot of ideas when it comes to how to pull off a wedding and how to celebrate the fabulous women in my life. From the dessert table to the DIY envelopes, I have already stepped out of the traditional box and tried my best to just do things in a way that suits me and New Guy. So a combination of ideas from some other brave, offbeat ladies along with some soul searching on the most important missing piece of the wedding had led me to the "Something Blue Brigade".

The most painful experience of my life was losing my mom in 2010.  It's also been one of the hardest things about wedding planning. There hasn't been a single moment when I haven't wished my mom was there and the thought of getting through the actual day without her to calm my frayed nerves, laugh, and share the day is brutal.  I try to remind myself that she is always with me, but sometimes the crummy feelings sneak in and feel absolutely defeated.

But then, on the flip side, I have the most amazing group of women in my life. First and foremost, my Nana is A-MAZ-ING! If you don't know her, you should hustle on down to Lampasas and get to know her. My mom's sisters are so much like her.  When they laugh it's like she's here and I know they would do anything to help me in life. All my uncles made phenomenal choices in partners which brings along some strong women with unique perspectives and amazing hearts.  Great moms raise great daughters. Did I mention I have more cousins than you can shake a stick at?  All beautiful women inside and out. And then there is the family you choose.  Out of the 7.1 billion people out there, these ladies stand out for their compassion, strength, senses of humor, and pure genius. Pretty sure I'm about as lucky as anyone could be when it comes to the group I have around me.

On my wedding day, I will be wearing one of my mom's brooches in my hair. It just so happens to be blue. And it's fabulous. And it's from my mom which gives it immeasurable value.

So from my mom, I have something old, borrowed, and blue. 

For the something new, I will stay with the something blue theme... and give something new to each of the women who are helping make our day special. The women who will be henceforth known as the Something Blue Brigade.

Along with a hand written letter and a handmade blue necklace (pictures coming soon!), I plan to send along a printed explanation of the Brigade that went a little something like this: 

Something Blue Brigade
David & I have bucked tradition nearly every step of the way.  Our wedding party is no exception.  Rather than select a handful of people to call bridesmaids & groomsmen, we hope that each of you will join us in making our day special.  This is a long winded way to say,
“Could you please NOT be my bridesmaid?”
or rather more accurately,
“I count you among the women in my life that I love & cherish. I cannot imagine the day without you. Will you do me the honor of being part of my fabulously wonderful, packed with amazing women, Something Blue Brigade?”

The remainder of the page defined some of the do's and don'ts (don't fret, I checked the grammar on Do's and Don'ts before I hit print, what a cluster) including things like "do tell me when I’m being ridiculous and reign in my use of spreadsheets." and "Don't wear the same dress as the other women in the Brigade. You are an individual, wear your own choice of dress (or skirt, or pants)."

Hopefully people take this in the spirit in which it's meant - one of loving inclusion in the first day of a kick-ass marriage.
  

No comments: