Thursday, August 08, 2013

Day 105: Seeing Results from the Carrot and the Stick

It has been 105 days since the biometric screening that that turned my health plan around.  There have been moments of feeling like I am punishing myself and moments where my fiance was certain I was punishing him as well.  It has been 105 days since we have ordered pizza at the house and 105 days since I've eaten fast food (goodbye In and Out grilled cheese). It has been 105 days since I've had a soda or a sweet tea.  I have eaten legit dessert, though. 4 times... and each time was magical. My lettuce intake has gone through the roof and I have cooked more at home than the fiance or I thought there was time for. 


So carrot/stick health initiative at the office has worked all because on April 26th, I was forced to get to know my numbers.  

So an update on the numbers I know:

BMI - I was listed as a 30 on my screening form.  I looked it up myself and was actually a 31. So not borderline, but actually obese. Today I am a 26.5 which is listed as overweight, but a substantial improvement. 

Weight: I am down from 193 (less the two lbs they give you in case the scale is off, how sweet) on April 26th to 163.6.  So almost -30lbs without the grace, -27.4 with it. Still plugging along, though not at the same pace as before. 

Body Shape: Also known as the waist to height ratio... I have gone from a .53 (increased risk) to a .48 (healthy).  I am down from a size 14 pant to a size 10.  I am able to wear medium tops in some styles instead of extra large. Some tops I still require a large, but I'm pretty okay with that.

I am having my cholesterol rechecked on the thirtieth of this month.  My physician wanted to make sure there was adequate time to make an impact where I could.  I will post the results when I have them and we can all cross our fingers until then.  

I feel like I've done pretty well with the check ins.   I've logged in at least 95 days of the last 105 and I've stayed a lot more active. I can run/walk 6 miles in a workout when day one I struggled to hit 1 mile.  I've hiked on vacations (and work trips), spent time on the bike, and added in some weights to the rotation.  

I couldn't have gotten this far without my myfitnesspal friends! They hold me accountable when I don't log in and keep me motivated with the comments on my check-ins. 

Can't wait to give you another update at the end of the month! 

No comments: