Friday, October 11, 2013

Sour Cream Cupcakes with Cherry Compote and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Sour cream cake, cherry compote, chocolate buttercream

Sometimes I get wheels off.  I mentioned the bake sale that we were hosting in the office.  I mentioned that I went overboard.  I didn't mention that I failed to follow one consistent recipe for anything... except the Guinness Cupcake, that I'll get to next. For now... Sour Cream.  Don't knock it until you've tried it... it's magical.

Compote (I feel like I should look up compote... I'm not sure I'm using it right)
To make this sweetened cherry, thick mash, with its own syrupy goodness... you probably want to check out google. Let's get real.  This is about to be the sketchiest "recipe" you have ever read...

  • small bag of frozen, pitted cherries
  • cornstarch
  • sugar
  • vanilla extract
Thaw your cherries on the stove in a pan.  As they get hot, use a fork to mash 'em up.  Should be a juicy mess of cherry mash.  Add sugar to taste. Add a tablespoon or less of cornstarch (really depends on how sweet you made the dang things).  Still not thickening on the stove? I guess add some more. Like a zing of vanilla? Like 1/4 tsp is ENOUGH. Yep... good luck with this. After it looks sufficiently thick and jam like, and taste like a cherry extravaganza... let it cool. 


Cupcakes

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
Mix flour, baking soda, and salt.  In a separate bowl, cream sugar and butter on medium until light and fluffy.  Reduce speed to low and add vanilla and egg. Stir in sour cream. Add flour mixture.  Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full. Place a spoonful of cherry compote in the center.  Cover with batter (I used a pastry bag for this).

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. 

THEY WILL LOOKED DEPRESSED IN THE CENTERS.  Sorry to yell, but I don't want you to be disappointed. 

Chocolate Buttercream
I fall back on Wilton for this one.  I say use whatever strikes your fancy.  I went with chocolate to give it the chocolate cherry combo that I'm pretty sure was originally created to appease grumpy women.  Winner... It still works. At least on me. 

No comments: